Peanut Butter and Jelly Thumbprint Cookies – the sweet, sweet taste of childhood in cookie form. A perfect peanut butter cookie base chocked full of flavor with a raspberry jelly thumbprint. You would never guess they are, in fact, gluten free. (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free & Vegan friendly)
Oh, the classic Peanut Butter and Jelly for lunches. Happy memories and still a favorite of mine in adulthood.
Granted, I don’t eat gluten-free bread that often but an afternoon snack quickly comes together with some crackers, peanut butter and jelly just like I used to make after school when I was growing up – it definitely hits the nostalgia spot.
After many batches made amid perfecting this peanut butter cookie base, I wanted to change it up a bit, alas Peanut Butter and Jelly Thumbprint Cookies were born.
There is no denying these flavors are meant for each other!
I still crave a peanut butter and jelly sandwich once in awhile. The problem is I don’t have bread around because I’ve yet to find one I really like (but I honestly haven’t tried too hard.)
It’s true, I love these french bread loaves for garlic bread and that sort of thing. I also just recently had these english muffins sent to me which are going to be clutch to have while traveling. Naturally I find myself needing more carb-loaded foods while traveling, instant energy needed I guess is why.
You can tell by my must have gluten-free traveling list that I do love my instant energy.
Right now I’m finding the need to go back to my childhood with these Peanut Butter and Jelly Thumbprint cookies. Take me back to those relatively carefree days, pretty please.
Perhaps the best part of the last year tackling gluten-free baking (and actually getting good at it) is that I no longer feel restricted by my diet.
I totally understand where people are coming from by thinking they are never going to eat real food again, but it’s far from the truth.
For example, we have these freakin’ delicious and moist Gluten-Free Peanut Butter and Jelly Thumbprint cookies! That is not being restricted. That is practically taking the spoon into a jar of peanut butter than a scoop of out of the jelly jar with wild abandonment.
You’ve never done that before? Don’t judge what happened back in my college days. … Or last week. This flavor combo truly never gets old for me. Let’s get baking.
- 4 Tablespoons butter, softened (or dairy-free butter)
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 egg (or egg replacement)
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup raspberry jelly/jam
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Prepare baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Beat butter, peanut butter, egg, sugar and brown sugar.
- Sift flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda into butter mixture.
- Drop spoonfuls of dough onto baking sheet. Press down into a round form, then press directly into the center of the cookie with your thumb or a small spoon.
- Bake 9-11 minutes.
- Gently push center of cookie down again.
- Add jelly to small ziploc bag, cut off a small end and gently squeeze jelly into the center of the cookies.
- Allow cookies to fully cool.