Picadillo Mexican Beef recipe made so easy in one pot and served over rice. Classic and total comfort food great for a crowd. Total must-have to add to the weekly meals! (Gluten Free, Dairy Free)
Ever tried Picadillo before? If not, you should!
Think of it as an almost American version of beef stroganoff but honestly 1000% better. I will let you know why it is the best and hopefully convince you to try this by the end of this post.
It has some amazing ingredients that are some of my favorites, white wine and green olives being among them.
All my favorite ingredients in this Picadillo Mexican Beef recipe;
- White Wine
- Green Olives
- Ground Beef
From my searches, this isn’t a to-the-T authentic recipe. In our household – We have a Mexican and an Irish-American. Nothing is ever traditionally authentic, we meet in the middle and make it our own.
Many people use green pepper as a replacement for the spinach I use. (I personally prefer the chopped spinach.) We all know my love for spinach.
In the traditional version, there are raisins in it. You can feel free to add those, but I like our version sans raisins better.
In short, the flavors are there, so make it your own to fit your family. Just like we do. 🙂
I enjoy this recipe so much that I’ve made is in One Pot and also in the Pressure Cooker! See below in the recipe for both instructions.
We’ll slowly build our gluten-free pressure cooker recipes up and this Picadillo Mexican Beef recipe is seriously a MUST HAVE to the index.
I have to admit, I like making it in the pressure cooker. I’ll make the rice in it first, pull that out and place into the leftover container for the night. Then I’ll proceed to make the Picadillo!
Spoon that delicious Picadillo all over some rice and dinner is born!
I first was drawn to this variation when I noticed there were green olives! My obsession with green olives is strong. As I was creating this dish I was certainly intrigued about how it was going to turn out.
Hands down, the best, most delicious, super easy and one of those dishes that everyone in the family will love. Picadillo Mexican Beef over rice is for dinner and it is a WINNER!
Added to the weekly dinner rotation? Yes, it most definitely is for our family.
Worth noting: It also freezes well. #Bonus
Items You Might Need for this Picadillo Mexican Beef recipe.
Picadillo Mexican Beef over Rice Recipe
Gluten free, dairy free
Yield: 10 servings
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Total Time: 40 min
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 (16 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- ⅔ cup green olives
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
Pressure Cooker Instructions
- Spray the inside of pressure cooker with cooking oil. Turn pressure cooker to sauté.
- Brown ground beef, drain fat if there is any,
- Add onion, spinach, olive oil, white wine, tomato sauce, tomato paste, green olives, cumin, salt, pepper and bay leaf.
- Lock lid and close pressure valve. Cook on High Pressure 8-10 minutes. Allow a 12 minute natural release.
One Pot Skillet Instructions
- Heat skillet over medium high heat, spray skillet with cooking spray.
- Brown ground beef, drain fat if there is any, Stir in onion, Sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in spinach, olive oil, white wine, tomato sauce, tomato paste, green olives, cumin, salt, pepper and bay leaf.
- Cover pan, turn heat down to a simmer. Cook 25-30 minutes.
Weight Watcher Points: 10 SmartPoints