Throwback to my favorite lunch snack, the oh-so-delicious Little Debbie oatmeal creme pies. Made sans the gluten, I give you delicious Gluten-Free Oatmeal Creme Pies.
Our school lunches never had a lot of processed foods. Looking back, I appreciate what my mom tried to teach us.
However, all the chips, fruit snacks, and lunchables in the other kids’ lunch boxes made me envious. Once in awhile we would get the delicious Little Debbies in our lunch boxes, and it was like Christmas morning.
When my mom brought them home from the grocery store, those puffy sweet cream oatmeal pies didn’t stand a chance lasting more than a day.
My mother would buy Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies on a Sunday and by Monday night they were gone. Seriously, I have no clue how they just disappeared. There is no way I ate them all once I got home from school. 😉
Growing up, we’d also occasionally get Lucky Charms breakfast cereal (for dessert), and those marshmallows didn’t stand a chance either. Every single marshmallow was picked clean out of that box. (This is what happens when you limit your children’s sugar. It’s like ravenous hyenas on their prey–no survivors.)
While they might not be exactly like Little Debbies, they come pretty darn close in terms of deliciousness and addictiveness.
Yes, delicious and addictive, but still low-sugar, gluten-free, dairy-free, and no oil added.
Every single creme pie was demolished in about a day . . . Again, I swear it wasn’t all me.
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl mix the oat flour, cinnamon, allspice, baking powder, vanilla extract, applesauce, honey and melted butter.
- Using a cookie scoop spoon a Tablespoon of dough onto the baking sheet.
- Flatten each cookie with palm into a circle, making 12 cookies.
- Bake for 8-11 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow cookies to fully cool.
- Pipe 1 Tablespoon of frosting on the bottom side of half of a cookie, and top with remaining cookie.
- Cookies stay fresh at room temperature in an airtight container for 2 days.