Gluten Free Strawberry Shortcake recipe made lower sugar and still bursting with strawberry flavor. These strawberry shortcakes are a crowd pleaser and top it off as gluten free! Make it for a crowd and win every one’s hearts. (Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegan friendly)
Ahhh a childhood classic and favorite. Strawberry Shortcake you are so divine.
Remember when I told you my mother was the drop biscuit queen growing up? Well, it’s only logical that strawberry shortcakes were in the mix as well.
This was a staple growing up. Strawberries and sugar slathered all over warm gluten free drop biscuits. Topped with a hefty dollop of whipped cream. Best dessert ever.
Today I’m bringing you this classic but with a twist. It only has 2 tablespoons of sugar spooned across the strawberries. Hear me out.
The 1 cup of sugar my mother used? Not necessary. Just the tiniest bit of sugar is needed to help those strawberries break down and release their juices.
Lower sugar strawberry shortcake for the win!
Gluten-Free Drop Biscuits! Now where is the strawberry shortcake without the shortcake? Well in our family at least, the drop biscuit. We even have a video showing you just how easy it is to make these biscuits.
Whipped Cream. Mmmmmm. Back in the day this was Cool Whip, processed and with who-really-knows-what’s-in-it Cool Whip.
Making whipped cream at home is as easy as buying the Cool Whip frozen and thawing it. My point: Ditch that processed garbage and bring in the REAL whipped cream.
If you are in need of dairy-free/vegan, coconut whipped cream will be a wonderful substitution.
So there you have it. It literally is 1-2-3 for these Strawberry Shortcakes.
- Drizzle Sugar on Strawberries
- Bake those Gluten-Free Drop Biscuits
- Whipped Cream Time!
Pull it all together and dinner – I mean dessert is ready.
Now are you ready for this!? OUR NEW COOKBOOK IS HERE!! woot. woot.
It is available to Pre-Order on Amazon and set to release on August 29th! Again, woot. woot.
To kick this off we are doing a giveaway EACH WEEK leading up to the launch date! Join Below!
Help support VeggieBalance and Pre-Order our new The Easy Gluten-Free Cookbook today! We all know how much I love easy recipes. #EasyCookingisLife
Gluten Free Strawberry Shortcake
Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegan friendly
Yield: 12 shortcakes
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 45 min
Total Time: 60 min
Gluten-Free Drop Biscuits
- 2 cups gluten-free baking flour
- 4 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup cold butter, cubed (or dairy-free butter alternative)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk (or dairy-free milk alternative)
- 6 cups chopped strawberries
- 4 Tablespoons sugar
- In a small bowl with chopped strawberries, sprinkle 4 Tablespoons of sugar over berries. Cover and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes to break down berries.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- With a pastry dough cutter (or a fork) cut butter into flour mixture until butter is fully cut into the flour and it resembles small pebbles.
- Stir in eggs and milk.
- Drop 2 Tablespoons of dough onto baking sheet, 2 inches apart from each biscuit.
- Bake for 11-15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean and tops begin to brown.
- Spoon strawberries over biscuits, top with whipped cream or dairy-free alternative cream over biscuits and enjoy!