Oatmeal breakfast bars are the perfect healthier treat when your craving cinnamon rolls. (Gluten Free, Low Sugar, Dairy Free and Vegan friendly.)
Hold onto your hats lovelies, we have finger licking, dolloping frosting worthy Cinnamon Oatmeal Breakfast Bars coming your way today.
Reasons these Cinnamon Oatmeal Breakfast Bars Rock!
I’ve been craving myself a cinnamon roll for some time now. I dream of those puffy cinnamon sugar-swirled pastries with frosting oozing down onto my fingers. Paired with a cup of warm tea, that is the epitome of a perfect Saturday morning.
The unwanted sugar rush and guilt of eating the entire pan are something I’m all too familiar with–no self-control.
My name is Lindsay, and I have no self-control with sweet treats.
Especially when they involve perfect Cinnamon Oatmeal Breakfast Bars with a sweet vanilla buttercream frosting oozing down onto my fingers. That is the definition of frosting heaven.
Let me tell you a secret though: This frosting is your normal confectionery frosting. However, I’ve found a way to use less powdered sugar, which qualifies these as low-sugar breakfast bars.
What is my secret weapon you ask?
I know, it sounds very odd and by all means I understand your skepticism. Hear me out.
It’s the easiest way to get a thick, creamy frosting without using a pound of powdered sugar. Yes, potato starch is my secret weapon.
My mother would make this frosting growing up, and it’s easily seen as a family recipe you must master. There was no need to twist our arms when teaching my sister and me how to make it. What 10 year old doesn’t want to learn how to make frosting?
Having the option to make frosting at any time? Uhhh yeah, count me in on that.
This family frosting recipe has been around for many, many years. I felt a little guilty at first attempting to skinny-fy the recipe, but as soon as I ate a big spoonful of it the guilt quickly went away.
Spreading this heavenly frosting on top of the soft, puffy cinnamon heaven oatmeal bars reminded me of Saturday mornings when I was growing up.
Cinnamon rolls every Saturday was a tradition growing up, which subsequently became a weekend tradition after leaving the house. Without a doubt, it remains the absolutely perfect way to kick off the weekend.
Since going gluten-free, I’ve been lacking this tradition for a couple of years, but no worries now with this healthier homemade version of cinnamon rolls. These Cinnamon Oatmeal Breakfast Bars are a healthier, gluten-free substitute to fit perfectly into my future Saturday morning tradition.
If you are lacking a Saturday morning tradition, have no fear, Cinnamon Oatmeal Breakfast Bars are here! What do you have planned for your Saturday morning? Making these babies, of course. We’ll be breakfast buddies, because I will be making them, too!
- 2 cups oat flour
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon all spice
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 Tablespoon grass-fed butter, melted (use Earth Balance if vegan)
- 4 ounces unsweetened applesauce
- 5 Tablespoons honey (maple syrup if desired)
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Prepare bread pan by greasing the bottom and sides with olive oil or butter.
- In a medium bowl stir together, oat flour, cinnamon, all spice and baking powder until well combined.
- Add melted butter, applesauce, and honey. Stir until combined.
- Add mixture to bread pan.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Prepare frosting, add softened butter in medium bowl.
- Beat with mixer until creamy (30-45 seconds), add vanilla extract, milk, continue beating with mixer, slowly add powder sugar ½ cup at a time incorporating into butter mixture. Beat for another 2-3 minutes.
- Frosting will still be a little runny, begin adding potato starch 2 Tablespoons as a time, combine into frosting, add remaining potato starch.
- *If frosting is still a little runny then what you would desire add additional Tablespoon. Frosting will continue to thicken over a course of an hour.
- Slice into 10 squares, frost each square with 1-2 Tablespoons.